CONTEXT: Boost of e-commerce drives the corresponding growth of the postal and carrier services. Innovative models emerge that improve trust and transparency of chain of custody and upgrade currently prevailing ‘track and trace’ capabilities.
• Barcodes are used as digital identifiers
• Packages are physically sealed using non-smart mechanisms
PACKAGE TAMPERING HARD TO DETECT:
• Barcodes are easy to forge/manipulate
• Package contents can be tampered with or entire packages replaced
Attach a non-removable crypto tag to the package, which stores package-related metadata on the blockchain.
PACKAGE GETS SEALED PHYSICALLY AND DIGITALLY:
• Fraud detection: crypto tag protects from fiddling with package and content. If manipulated, the antenna breaks and the product gets devalidated
• Flexibility: crypto tag can be updated with new data at any time
Information about status of packages is stored by each carrier on their own centralized databases.
LACK OF TRUST AND TRANSPARENCY IN THE SUPPLY CHAIN:
Control over information allows carriers to deliberately alter publicly disclosed data for their own benefit
Tracking information gets registered on the blockchain-powered registers, thus automatically becoming time-stamped, transparent and immutable.
BRINGS TRUST AND TRANSPARENCY TO ALL STAKEHOLDERS:
• Prevents frauds
• Avoids tampering with the content of the package
• Allows real-time monitoring of the package status
At the store, the retailer seals the package by attaching a non-removable crypto tag.
When the tag gets provisioned* and attested** with relevant metadata, the identity of the person attesting the content is registered on the blockchain.
Every-time the package is handled to a new stakeholder the information gets timestamped and is registered on the blockchain, visible to everyone.
Validation and registry of new information is done by using a NFC enabled phone.
At delivery, the identity of the receiver is registered on the blockchain and verifies that the cargo remained in the same condition from the moment it was sealed in the package.
*Process by which the key pairs are created. **Process by which the public key of the crypto tag is registered on the blockchain of choice.